PS4, Xbox 720, who will be the winner?
We stumbled upon an article looking at Google trend predicting Xbox 720 will crush PS4: http://www.ludos-mundi.com/2012/12/13/google-predicts-xbox-720-crush-ps4/
And we also read an interesting story about “Influencers” being better at predicting “product success” than general public: http://readwrite.com/2012/12/20/why-twitter-buzz-does-not-equal-movie-ticket-sales .
So we looked into our “Gaming tribes” (a few thousand US gaming influencers) and looked at how these people were covering PS4 and Xbox 720 and here are the results:
1- There is a marginal difference in the volume of coverage, with a minor advantage to Xbox 720
Looking deeper on who these people were, we found out that most gaming influencers were actually covering both platforms:
The map should be read as follows:
- every node on the graph is a person / influencer
- green people talked about both platforms
- yellow people talked about PS4 only
- blue people talked about Xbox 720 only
- grey people did not mention either PS4 nor Xbox 720 (btw the big grey cluster on the low right is made up by RPG bloggers
So, again very little difference between the two platforms.
When we put Wii U in the mix, however, we got a very different picture: